Friday, March 4, 2011

Promotional Messages Versus The "Private" Facebook Message Box

re. Public messages sent to the private Facebook Message Box: Is it just me, or is this to be discouraged? 

In my line of work- music/entertainment related- Facebook has revolutionized the way we promote ourselves, and our gigs, projects, etc.  It is cheap, effective and eco-friendly.  I really enjoy having a handy way to see what my friends and colleagues are up to, and to learn about shows to attend. All in all it's a great thing!

However, lately it has become common practice by some individuals to send mass notifications to the "private" Facebook  Message box.  Every time someone does this, I get an email saying "so-and-so has sent you a message".  When I get to the message it turns out "so-and-so" is actually playing Googie's Lounge, or has started a kick-start promotion, or some such thing, and doesn't have anything specific or personal to say to me.

Forgive me, but I find this a little irritating.  Facebook has any number of very effective forums in which to promote yourself, and I feel like posting to the message box inconveniences the recipient unnecessarily.

I have occasionally indicated to posters, via private message, that I would prefer to receive their promotions by other means.  Mostly this has gone well, but on at least one occasion, I fear I may have offended an artist whom I've enjoyed recording, and whose work I like very much.

Maybe it's not such a big deal- I get promotional emails all the time and think nothing of it- (although I have set up my mail server to weed some of them out.)  It's not like the "private" FB message box is so private that I use it for serious communication anyway. Still, when all is said and done, I would prefer that people didn't do it.

Do you have an opinion on this?  I'd be curious to know what people think.

No comments:

Post a Comment